June 27, 2008

18 holes and relentless sexism

I attempt to read an article off of nytimes.com once a day. I'll browse the page, and what catches my eye, is what I'll read first. Today it was "Women Battle for Rights at Phoenix Country Club." I was interested because, I will admit, I have a slight tendency to make presumptions about the "type" of people that are members of country clubs. My presumptions usually lead to prejudices. Not something I am proud of, but its the truth.

Basically, what I am saying is, I'm not remotely surprised that the women in a country club don't have equal rights to men within the country club.

At the country club there are two grill rooms. The one for the men is opened all the time with a bar. The grill room for women isn't opened all the time, therefore women cannot eat when they please, and there is no bar. Men who have sense, and decided to bring their wives into the the men's grill room have been harassed, and their property defaced.

"As teenage boys saunter into the sumptuously appointed men’s grill room, their mothers are relegated to the ladies’ grill, down the hall with a hot plate, some card tables and no bar. The club also has a formal dining room, where men and women are welcome, but it is closed between meals and is not a spot to get a drink."

Due to pressure the country club is making renovations to the dining room (where the women are able to eat with the men...did I mention THIS IS RIDICULOUS) and the two grill rooms. The grill rooms will remain separate, but will have the same accommodations. *cough* This sounds a little something like "separate but equal," and we all know IT DOES NOT WORK.

This has to be one of the most archaic institutions that I thought did not exist anymore. I mean we all know they are out there, but to think people are so avid about keeping men and women separate, while men obviously have the upper hand.

"Charges of sexism against private golf clubs are not uncommon; the Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia, where the Masters is held each year, does not permit women to be members."

McCain has ties to the county club. *insert unsurprised face* Although he is not a member, his son Andrew McCain is one.

You can read the article by using the below link.
Cozy Spot to Eat After Golf, but Women Are Barred

No comments: