April 4, 2009

The Club

Last night some friends and I went to Purple Tree on the market. As much as I like to have fun, I don't always like the message in the music. It's a constant struggle that I have between my morals and fun. Although, it seems like it would be an easy pick, it isn't.

All night long my friends and I listen to songs with lines like...

"Sucking on my titties like you wanted me..."
SIDEBAR: It's usually what happens when the song comes on. Guys think they have the right to your body, meaning they believe they can touch wherever they please. Most have the audacity to become upset whenever you divert their hands or walk away.

"You want this money, then you gotta be a bad bitch
Shake that ass from the tip if you a bad bitch
Drop it down to the floor if you a bad bitch"

"Blow my whistle bitch"

Then...the DJ put on a song that had a woman singing something along the lines of ...
"I don't want a man with a short dick"
With a catchy beat and all I might add. But instantaneously, the mood in the club changed. Guys became uncomfortable and stopped dancing with girls, they completely lost interest.

I find it humorous that for a short time they were uncomfortable and uneasy. The majority of the music in the club in someway objectifies women, but we continue to dance to it. There are times when certain songs come on and I will not dance, but imagine if every female did that, who would the guys dance with? Certainly not themselves, since I know, and I'm sure you know that heterosexual guys have a tendency to stray away from demonstrating any characteristics of a homosexual. (When I say "characteristics of homosexual[s]" I don't mean any stereotypes, but I mean, for example, kissing one another. Girls do that a lot, although it doesn't necessarily mean they are lesbians...that is what lesbians do. I hope that makes sense.)

Anyway, back to the point. The guys stopped dancing. They had been objectified. It was like they couldn't perform (no parallel intended to sex...but then again yes). Females who hear and listen to objectifying music continuously are expected to dance and participate. Whenever we may refuse, then something is wrong with us, when in actuality, it may just be you. If we don't want you touching us or have to listen to you moaning...then that should be okay.

There are plenty of arguments and view points that could pursue when it comes to women, dancing, and sexuality, but in this instance, this is what I saw and is my reality.

No comments: