April 29, 2010

Day 18-Whatever Tickles Your Fancy

Today was a reality check of mega proportions. It was one of many revelations/life lessons.

I have a terrible habit of assuming the best in people. I assume they don't lie, I assume they don't cheat, and I assume they generally have the interests of others at heart. Now, I know that makes me seem like one of the most naive, possibly passive individuals out there, but I'm not. In a sense, I know none of it is true, or maybe even possible, but I do know, those are some principles I choose to live by, and wish if other would give me the common courtesy.

I learned that just because someone is put in a place of power and/or position of respect, it doesn't mean they deserve it. It doesn't mean they are the most effective or appropriate individual, and with that being the case, there is no need to assume/trust they know what they are doing or know what they are talking about.

My mistake is assuming, and assuming can always get one in trouble. I identify that mistake and learn from it.

No comments: