April 20, 2010

Day 8--A photo that makes you angry/sad


I'm not sure how one goes to search for a picture that causes anger or sadness. I stumbled upon this picture a couple of weeks ago on another blogging site, and I would say I was more disappointed and sad that the boy, and all the people he represents, are subjected to those living conditions. I'm disappointed that the many people/institutions/governments that exist cannot help solve this issue. The caption for the picture reads:
Desperate thirst: Drought is one of many problems that continually afflicts the northern African country of Ethiopia. Lack of water not only kills crops, meaning starvation, but also causes violent conflicts over scarce vital resources. Inadequate sanitation has made water-borne diseases the No. 1 cause of infant deaths in the country — where 300,000 children under age 5 die every year. Here, a boy near the town of Moyale drinks from a muddy puddle. via Portraits of Instability
For months now I've had this undying desire to travel to Africa. There are a list of reasons that don't fit today's topic, but the list is legitimate enough and empowering enough for me to make it a goal of mine.

Below I added a video for "Summit on the Summit." The show was actually over an hour and documented the journey from beginning to end. Basically, celebrities climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro to bring awareness to the water issue (lack of clean water, lack of water, etc) around the world. I don't typically agree with or follow celebrity news, but I'm a fan of Lupe Fiasco and Kenna, whose father is from Tanzania, began the process in honor of his father.


No comments: