June 16, 2008

Pussycat Dolls advocate Feminism...

I was watching an episode of So You Think You Can Dance with my sister, and the Pussycat Dolls performed. I personally believe they have very little talent, but that simple fact is disguised by their "costumes" and the body seizures that last the entire "performance." A perfect example would be the video below.


I also might note that if you turn the volume down, they could pass as strip show.
The video is 2 minutes and 32 seconds of torture, and I would NOT wish it on my worst enemy.

Since they paint their clothes on, the song sucks, and they as an entirety have no talent, my sister and I were automatically intrigued. We immediately began to do our research on this group (we were also bored, and had NOTHING else to do). We were lead to http://www.pcdmusic.com/. The sight is full of surprises and goodies, including their bios, their ages, relationship status, and of course, zodiac sign. There are also overpriced Pussycat Doll paraphernalia.

Our favorite part was when we discovered that the song "Dont Cha" --'dont cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me'--is meant to be "empowering." A Pussycat Doll should be "hot" but also be able to say something with "real feeling."
I will admit I have a song or two on my ipod, but yesterday was just humorous for me when it came to the Pussycat Dolls. Feminism does come in a plethora of ways, and I suppose the Pussycat Dolls just bring an intersting side to it all. Who am I to judge...eek!


2 comments:

Joliene said...

I think there is a pretty fine line between embracing your sexuality and being proud of your body and simply using your body for attention/objectifying yourself. While there are many women in the world who dress provocatively without it bothering me, it's those who derive most of their worth from their physical attributes that bother me so much... it's truly been a struggle for women in this country to start convincing men that we are intellectually every bit as capable as they are-- yet to have such a high percentage of women in the public eye putting no face but their physical one forward, men are still subconsciously media-drugged to believe that women are valued by their cup size and weight than anything that might come out of their mouth.

Also, this song seems less about strength than about provoking men who have girlfriends... the last thing this world needs is another cheating jerk. Why are there women out there promoting it? Haven't we all been cheated on enough? Jeez.

Jyn said...

I agree with you both. I think there is a fine line and that fine line gets us in trouble when we are arguing about women being objectified and at the same time want women to be able to safely express their sexuality. I can't wait for the day when women and men can express their sexuality in healthy ways.

To be frank: women like the pussy cat dolls piss me off. They are, in my mind, WEAK. They are too wrapped up in materialism and instant gratification that they can't see the damage they do to themselves and the women who watch and look up to them. How can you HONESTLY set an example that says, "Hey, its okay that you're not perfect, but at least pretend to be. Oh and skinny, hairless, with large breasts is the definition of the perfect woman." How can women teach other women that the most important thing in life is how sexy men think you are. EEEEEeeeck!

Okay, so now that I got out the angry part of my argument... maybe the pussy cat dolls are not weak, perhaps they are human like the rest of us. Perhaps they too have gotten caught up in the destructive message that your self-worth is based on your ability to squeeze and tweeze and push up into a narrow box of what is physically and socially acceptable as a woman in our society.

I guess its up to us as individuals to be role models to the women and girls in our lives by LOVING OURSELVES and letting people know its okay to do the same. It makes me sad that such a simple concept like self-love is SO hard to obtain and practice. One day...

~Practice Radical Self Love~