August 20, 2009

Gender Stereotyping

I personally do not like spending extended periods of time around people preparing for marriage or pregnant women. Why? Because that's usually ALL they talk about. Of course, there are exceptions, but my experiences have proven, there are not many.

Today I was out with my mom and we were in this small shop, small enough for me to hear every conversation going on around me. There was a pregnant woman. I feel as if I know too much about her. 1.she's pregnant 2.she's due in a week 3.she hates that Columbia doesn't have cute maternity clothes 4.she's having a boy 5.she's glad that she can find regular clothes that are cute, but loose enough to fit her stomach.....BLAH BLAH BLAH.
Do you see what I mean? It's just too much.

Anyway, she begins to tell the sales associates that she's trying to wait until September 1st. (Question: can pregnant women really do that, you know, hold the baby in? :-?) Why does she want to wait? Well, I'll tell you. She wants to wait because since she's having a boy, September 1st is better for sports deadlines and school. Of course her and her husband are assuming their son will be an avid sports fan/player that is really immature, so he needs to be the oldest in his classes. Never once thinking that "Sammy" may be a sports hater genius who likes frolicking in fields, I mean the possibilities are never ending.
Not to mention she said that if she were having a girl the deadlines wouldn't matter. Why? Because her daughter would hate to get dirty, wear huge obnoxious hair ribbons, and refuse any color but pink.

Gender stereotypes are the pits, and these people, along with millions of others, perpetuate them every freaking day. Treat your son like a lumberjack and your daughter like a princess.

No comments: