July 22, 2010

My mom chuckles

and tells me “You’re ridiculous.” when I mention to her how difficult it is for me to make friends. It’s no exaggeration and I’m not being dramatic. I really find it challenging to make/keep friends. Maybe the fact that I cried every night of 9th and 10th grade after changing schools, because I didn’t have any friends, was not a good enough clue for her.

It’s most challenging because off the bat, most people don’t “get” my “humor.” And I say “humor,” because I’m never really quite trying to be funny, I just am. I’m silent a lot of the time (unless I feel like what I’m saying is important), I’m comfortable in silence, if you can join me in that silence, then we can be friends. Hence the issue with keeping friends. I do.not.like.talking on the telephone.

I’m not the most sharing person either, for me to tell you a secret, something serious from what I call a past life, or emotions, I must really trust you. I feel as if I’m giving you a part of myself, I just can’t go doing that all willy nilly. (Is that too serious?)

Other people are more likely to call me their friend before I do the same. It’s not that I don’t like people, I’m just wary of trusting and bringing any kind of person into my life. With that being said, I’m apprehensive about moving and creating a social life. It’s going to be more challenging that starting my new career.

2 comments:

Heather said...

you know I think you are hilarious and you will find people who appreciate your humor and all that you have to offer... I feel you though. I keep getting nervous about making friends in Ecuador because it is a completely different culture... what if people dont get me there? BUT it will work out. Just get involved in the things you love and you will find people who you can connect with.

Anonymous said...

So...thanks for thoroughly outlining exactly what I think and feel on this subject...This is why I appreciate you so much. You understand things. That being said, I'm sorry I've been such an absentee friend and that I haven't responded to your correspondence yet. I have a long checklist right now. I hope things are great with you, and I am very anxious to know what is new in your life. Hugs!